Commissioner Steve McClure is a native of Eastern Oregon and specifically Union County. He was born in La Grande, raised outside of Elgin on a family farm and graduated from Elgin High School. He also attended Eastern Oregon University.
Steve was appointed to complete a vacant term on the Union County Board of County Commissioners and was then elected to his first full term in 1990. Steve is currently serving his seventh term.
Steve is Past President of the Association of Oregon Counties. He has been very involved in State and Federal lobby efforts to bring much needed resources to Union County. These include new revenues for Assessment and Taxation, relief moneys for the Public Works Department and the drive to bring telecommunications infrastructure to rural Oregon.
Boards and Committees
- Airport Advisory Committee
- Community Connection of Northeast Oregon (Chair)
- Eastern Oregon Counties Association (Chair)
- Grande Ronde Model Watershed Board (Alternate)
- Greater Oregon Better Health Initiative (GOBHI)
- Health & Human Services Advisory Committee
- Idaho Power Line Advisory Committee
- Mt. Emily Recreation Area Committees (MERA)
- Northeast Area Commission on Transportation (NEACT)
- Northeast Oregon Economic Development District (Alternate)
- Smoke Management Committee
- Tri-County Weed Board
- Union County Transportation Committee
- Water Quality Management Committee
- Wallowa-Union Railroad Authority Board (Co-Chair)