Union County is located in the Blue Mountains of Eastern Oregon. The area is known for its spectacular landscapes, abundance of wildlife, and outstanding recreational opportunities. Camping is free of charge, please come explore and enjoy Union County Parks.
- Mt. Emily Recreation Area (MERA) is 2 miles from the City of La Grande. The MERA property takes off from the edge of the Grande Ronde Valley floor at 3000′ and expands up beyond the rim to elevations around 5600′. The views and landscape are remarkable, come experience the Mt. Emily Recreation Area.
- Perry Swimming Hole is 2 miles west of La Grande, take exit 257 off I84 West. One of the few swimming holes on the Grande Ronde River and very popular on hot summer days. Swim at your own risk.
- Pilcher Creek Reservoir is approximately 12 miles west of the City of North Powder, Oregon. The park offers 17 primitive camping sites, vaulted toilets, and a boat ramp (5mph speed limit). Pilcher Creek has fishing, bird watching, and during the winter an elk feeding station is nearby.
- Thief Valley Reservoir is approximately 15 miles southeast of the City of Union, Oregon. There are 12 primitive camping sites, vaulted toilets, and a boat launching ramp. The reservoir is known for its fishing and wind surfing activities.
- Wolf Creek Reservoir is approximately 8 miles west of the City of North Powder, Oregon. A boat ramp, boarding float, vaulted toilets, and picnic areas are available for use. Wolf Creek activities include fishing, water-skiing, and jet skiing.
Funding for the parks is provided by Oregon State Parks and the Oregon State Marine Board.
Union County Public Works
Josh Ford, Mera/Parks Coordinator
10513 N McAlister Road, PO Box 1103, Island City, OR 97850
541-963-1016 Fax: 541-963-7822